Thursday, October 31, 2019

Week 11 Story


Unlikely Partners
The sun beat down on the desert floor scorching all the inhabitants that lie on it. One such critter was the snake named Earl that had always found himself a nice rock up high to lie on. He enjoyed sun bathing and wanted to lay there and soak up as much of the suns rays as he could. One day while he was sun bathing an annoying hawk came by and about landed right on top of him. Before the hawk got close enough Earl called out to the hawk saying, “Halt go away. This is my rock.” The hawk got ever closer and closer. Eventually after many more screeches from Earl the hawk could see him. The hawk hovered above him and yelled down to him, “Move or be trampled over. This is the perfect place for a nest so that I might start my family.” Earl was quite flustered and yelled back, “Get your own rock, this one is mine!! I have never moved, nor will I ever move for anyone.” The hawk became most flustered and said, “If you will not move willingly I will force you to move.” “I would advise against it for I am a formidable enemy to make.” exclaimed Earl. The hawk ignored his warning and dove to attack Earl and they battled for quite sometime. The hawk pecking with his beak and grabbing with his talons. Earl winding himself tighter and tighter around the hawk until the hawk could barely move. The hawk then decided to take a dive from the cliff. He refused to allow Earl to win. When he got closer to the ground the hawk yelled, “Now we both shall lose the rock. Lessen your grip or we shall both die.” Earl admired the hawk for the drive it had to keep fighting till the end, giving no ground. Earl smiled and loosened his grip and the pair landed smoothly on the ground just barely making it thanks to the hawk’s wings. The pair stared at each other in an awkward silence before Earl said, “I think there is enough room up there for the both of us. I like your style partner how about we become friends.” The hawk looked at him confused and said, “Sure I don’t see why not. My name is Patricia.” Thus the two flew back up to the top of the mountain and had a long fruitful friendship that spanned generations.

Author’s Note: I based this story off the combined stories of “The Buffalo and the Grizzly”, and “Coyote and the Snake”. In “The Buffalo and the Grizzly” a Grizzly and Buffalo fight at a spring until they eventually become friends. In “Coyote and the Snake” the Coyote is walking through the desert in a straight path and a snake is in his way. The coyote tells him to move but the Snake refuses and so the Coyote tells the Snake he will just walk right over him. The Snake threatens him that he will die if he does. The Coyote does it anyway and the Snake bites him resulting in his death. I decided to make it a happy ending where two animals meet fight and decide to be friends for life. They both wanted the hill but compromise saved each of their lives.

Image result for snake and hawk

2 comments:

  1. Your story was such a fun read! That was an interesting combination of characters. The snake getting at the hawk is interesting as hawks usually get at the snake compared to the snake attacking the hawk. The shift in the action was interesting for me and I really enjoyed the change. It gave the story a really cool shift and made it a great read overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dallas, your story was really fun and exciting to read! I thought that the mix of characters made it very different than most stories I have read. I liked how you based your story off two stories not just one. I have seen so many stories that have sparked ideas to rewrite if I were to combine them but haven’t tried it yet. After reading your story it makes me really want to try it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete