Thursday, October 3, 2019

Week 7 Story


The Close of an Age
As my life draws to a close and I look back at it now I think that I am thankful for all the things that have happened. I have learned about true friendship and what it means to have a home with a family. In my younger years I sought for the secrets of life and the answer to immortality. I found that and in so doing also obtained a stain on my character known as pride. I was so proud and arrogant in my younger years. I did whatever I saw fit for I was blessed with untold powers that I acquired through the teachings of my master. I know now if I only but put my talents to good use my life wouldn’t have taken the turn it did. I did many things I should say I regret now. All of those things lead me to be sealed in water, earth, metal, and fire. I was there for so long that I had to come to grips with what I had done and who I should become to be a better person. I was blessed and gifted so much to just squander it on my personal endeavors. When I was released I was able to put my talents and gifts to good use in helping the Monk of the Yangtze-kiang. I also had a circlet placed around my throat to control my behavior which in the past gave me so much trouble. It is never used however because I have reformed myself. I have decided however that my time should have an end just as it has a beginning. Though I once desired to live forever after many millennia I think it is time for me to pass on. To leave this world behind and move on to the next beginning. That is why I have decided to write this book, this being the last page, to tell of my life story and finally have an ending. Who would have thought I would walk with death to the gates of the next life as an old friend. I who had been so afraid to stare upon his face but a few centuries ago. To the apes living on our mountain I say goodbye and thank you for all you have done for me, welcoming me home every time I returned. This is my final goodbye for I shall not see you again in this life. Farewell.

Authors Notes: I decided that I wanted to have an ending to the life of Sun Wu Kung who was a stone ape that found immortality. I wanted him to feel after all the years he lived that he was finally done with this life. Sun Wu Kung was very mischievous in his life that lead him to many problems and many adversaries. He eventually was sealed up until being let out much, much later. I think he would reflect on his life and think about doing things differently. He would change the way he had been acting and become like his old master was, mild mannered and wise.

Bibliography: “The Ape Sun Wu Kung” in The Chinese FairyBook, ed. By R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens
Image result for sun wu kung

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dallas! Great job writing about Sun Wu Kung and his final thoughts before the end of his life. I like how you added a positive spin on it since he was so mischievous and hard to get along with during his younger years. Giving him a chance to turn his life around and leave the world on better terms with his friends and family gives this story a heartwarming ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, good job on your introduction. I really liked the fact that Sun Wu Kung was chosen to talk about and how you shed him in a positive light with many compliments as well as allowing him to be looked upon as a protagonist rather than an antagonist. This blog story showed that not only does an individual have to look at both sides of the story nor agree to the other person's perspective, but to be understanding and realize that people have differences and understand their views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dallas!
    Great job on this story. I really enjoyed how you decided to take the perspective of Sun Wu Kung. You were able to depict him as a good guy despite the traditional approach of him being a great villain. I have great Faith in your writing ability and look forward to what you will write as the semester continues!

    ReplyDelete